Monday, March 30, 2009

Lets Get Started


"It's like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole journey that way." ~ E. L. DOCTOROW

I suppose I should explain. This whole mess of a blog is to help motivate and track myself through a variety of health, fitness and athletic goals. Although I have to admit that vanity is of course is a primary driving factor to all of this nonsense I find myself wanting to achieve and prove more than that. I have always been in the middle. Never really healthy or athletic nor have I tiered the other way and been significantly unhealthy. Over the years I have done many races, 5k’s, 10k’s, bike races, endurance races and etc… None of these however, I have done with any other intention than just doing them. Now something has changed. I no longer wish to pursue these athletic endeavors and fitness endeavors with the same casual attitude. I want to be healthy, in shape and really race. The title of this blog “Running on Water” comes from a crazy idea I have. In my pursuit to find motivation and define my racing/athletic goals I came across “Worlds Coolest Marathon” (http://www.npmarathon.com/). A crazy little marathon run in the North Pole. From there I found something called the “Grand Slam Club” which is a group of people who have run marathons on all of the continents across the globe and topped it off with the North Pole Marathon. “This is it!” I thought. This little club encompasses my passion in life. Travel, adventure, fitness, health, this is what I have and want to do. I know its a little nuts and crazy considering I have never run a marathon before in my life. I have never been that kind of shape before. This is the plan. This is the ambition. It’s the dangling carrot I don’t know if I ever will reach but it’s the road I now choose to travel. This is the blog that will take years to write as I try to reach these crazy goals. Hopefully it will actually motivate me. Hopefully those of you who generously take the time to read any this will kindly drop a note, lend a hand or smile.

No comments: