Oh my goodness! As I surf the web, shop at the stores, talk to others I come to the realization that the number of ideas of how to run, what to run and what not to is just absurd. Barefoot running, Chi Running, Stretch, Don’t Stretch, what not to wear, the list goes on and on. Call me a pessimist but I think they are all liars.
Give that a moment…
I also happen to believe in every lie is buried a piece of great truth. That means, I keep an open mind to it all, read everything, and respect others opinions. I take the pieces that I learn and place them into my own puzzle of what I currently do and what I can do/use to improve myself.
Some over generalized examples of what I mean:
Chi Running- Keep my back straight but run like I am falling forward. (Got it, and like the idea)
Barefoot Running- Improves strength in foot and ankle tendons that are ordinarily never used due to shoe wear, also prevents injury. (I am not found of the idea of muddy, potentially cut feet, but I will walk around my home barefoot more often.)
Buy These Shoes- No! I don’t have enough money to invest in every new shoe that comes out. I will however recognize that running shoes can generally wear out at approximately 500 miles and I shall plan my savings accordingly.
Wear This- Again I have to say an emphatic, No. I will however recognize the benefit of sweat repelling microfibers vs. cotton.
I run intervals every other day- I would simply have to ask, Why? See if your goals and ambitions are similar to my own and determine if your training ideas work with or are better than my own.
My point of all of this rambling is just this. Someone else’s training schedule should probably not be copied and it should only be noted and adapted if it fits your own. Equipment is expensive and there are so many choices so be careful before wasting money on a regrettable mistake. People have been running years with just the basics. Take training slow, quick changes can lead to mistakes and serious injury.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment