Those of you that may read this blog will know I have an affinity for trail running. It doesn’t matter if it’s snowing out like it is currently, raining or whatever I spend roughly 50% of my time running on trails. It can get a bit muddy and I feel like a kid again. Trails are fun, more scenic, usually more challenging, technical, and hills can pop up often after various more elevation grades. Here are few of my tips that I have had to learn the hard way.
1. The difference between Trail Running shoes and just track is significant. Treads are different for starters and allow for gripping, and usually that are built with firmer structure to give your feet some more support. The trail surface can be extremely varied and your feet will appreciate the extra support.
2. You need to be more visual when trail running. Really focus on the ground in front of you and upcoming rocks and hazards. Even though the scenery can be beautiful you need to really concentrate and look out for the unexpected.
3. Take some emergency supplies with you. This is one that usually gets the most neglected but is the most important. At the very least you should have a cell phone with you always. That half mile to your car or nearest home can take a lifetime on a rolled ankle. Some things I carry in addition to a cell phone are extra water, antiseptic wipes, ace bandage, a energy gel (I am not a big fan of these but they are lightest and most compact source of energy I can find), bug spray (depending on the time of the year), a light weight extra shirt (for an extra layer or to be changed into when I get wet or cold), whistle and a small key chain light and knife. Sure these things can be cumbersome to carry at first but they only add a few pounds and are well worth it. Getting into the habit of carrying these on your shorter runs is a great idea and you will not feel as burdened by them and be able to concentrate on your workout for the longer runs.
4. Downhill is trickier than you expect. It might be obvious to say this but when you approach a downhill be especially careful and plan your decent in a zigzag, slalom skier fashion sort of fashion. The hills are usually steeper than expected. I find that if I go too straight down them I can over extend my stride and descend way to fast. You will know when you do this when suddenly your hip joint or knee scream at you like they have just been hit by a hammer. Also you don’t want too much speed just for the fear of tripping.
5. Pay attention to your posture. If your carrying a back pack or and because of the unevenness of the trails you may have a tendency to let your back arch and get of good running form. Take notice of this you don’t want a great run to be spoiled by back pain.
6. Realize trail runs are different. If you can run 3 miles around on pavement comfortably don’t assume that you will be just as comfortable out on the trails. Everything will be different right down to your stride and you will need to allow yourself a bit of a learning curve.
7. Keep your bearings. Obvious I know but even at the local forest preserve after being “in the zone” for awhile I can find myself over extending my journey by missing a turn or getting off the path. Having your routes preplanned and mapped is also great to finding your ideal training routes and times.
8. Other dangers do exist. I’m not just talking about bears (although I have run into them when on a trail in northern California) and other wild animals. I am also talking about dogs. I am a dog lover and having owned a few in my time I am not particularly frightened by them. On my local trails I often run into owners walking their dogs off the leash. I’m not annoyed by this being a dog lover and everything; and usually the dogs are friendly. Every now and then though you run into the dog who wants to run with you or nip at you to stop. Just stay calm, and stop running, but continue to walk by and the dog will usually lose interest or the owner will hopefully grab hold. On that note keep in mind that trails are shared with all sorts, fast moving mountain bikers, cross country skiers and hikers and they aren’t always paying attention. One danger that freaks me out even as I write this are Ticks. Depending on the time of the year and where you decide to go for a trail run they can be a problem. It also maybe days before you realize that you have acquired one so be sure to use that bug spray if you know they are prone to your area.
9. Do I need to mention? Sunglasses, sunscreen, camera (hey there might be something worth grabbing a photo of). Gloves I highly recommend. Nothing fancy I just know and admittedly have fallen a few times and the most common injury I have is from protecting my fall with my hands, scratching and cutting them up.
10. Please be courteous. Clean up after yourself. Don’t run off the trails and create new ones. Don’t widen that single track by running around the puddles. Notice and respect others on the trails. Share smile they are just as hard at it was you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment